Sunday, January 28, 2018

About my interest in psychology



branch of study: The branch of psychology that interest me the most is positive psychology. I didn't know much about this branch of psychology until this semester, but it is by far the branch of psychology that I would see my self practicing if I were ever to be a psychologist.

Topics studied in this branch: There are many topics that use this branch of psychology. Here are some of them- Wealth to well being, the science of gratitude, for a better day smile, kindness counts, and many more. All of these topics all have to do with proving and convincing people that life is worth living, to be happy and enjoy everyday with a positive and appreciative spirit.

Education/Training required: To practice positive psychology professionally you typically need a doctoral degree in psychology, after first obtaining their undergraduate degree. Also you would need to undergo a lengthy internship process and some are required to work under a licensed clinical supervisor.

Jobs related to this field: Academic institution, Government agencies, Healthcare facilities, Life coaching, Research firms etc..

Prominent psychologist/professionals in this field: a few psychologist and professions in this field are William James, Abraham Maslow, Martin Seligman, Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi, Christopher Peterson. I have never heard of these people in my life but from my research these guys are considered the founding fathers of positive psychology.

Personal interest: My personal interest of positive psychology first started with the group projects that we were assigned to this past Thursday, because my brach of psychology that me and my partner are going to have to present is positive psychology. I just like the idea of living life in a positive and thankful manner, and that's what a positive psychologist tries to convince their clients. I don't know if I have any personal experiences of positive psychology, but I am a very happy and positive person if that counts. I think this a good branch of psychology for me to venture into, because even though I myself am a very happy and positive person I have a lot of friends that are always putting themselves down and just aren't really feeling and living life the way they should be in a happy manner. With the knowledge I will acquire studying this branch of psychology this semester I really think I could have some sort of impact in trying to change their view of life and help them be happy.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology
https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/founding-fathers/
https://careersinpsychology.org/positive-psychology-careers/
https://www.psychologyschoolguide.net/career-guides/becoming-a-positive-psychologist/
https://www.becomingminimalist.com/happier/

2 comments:

  1. Bryan,
    Nice blog! I loved reading this, so many interesting facts. I've also been very interested in positive psychology since I am always looking on the brighter side of things. I agree with what you said about the knowledge you aquire, so you could impact your friends views. It is always good to be that friend aiding in overall happiness, because I also have many friends that are always feeling down and not living life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post!

Through out this semester I have gained so much knowledge and understanding of psychology and I know it will benefit me in the long run. I w...